Budget Building & Finances
Individual program budgets are allocated by the Study Abroad Director in confirmation and approval with the Principia COO. Individual program budgets include all program expenses, including program staff salaries, program marketing and advertising, overhead costs, on-campus costs, and all in-country program costs. The budget costs span your pre-program terms, program implementation term, and re-entry term. The Study Abroad Office will provide general program budget categories for in-country program cost consideration, and you will build the in-country program budget together. With a commitment to fiscal responsibility, the in-country program budget will be based on general study abroad program guidelines and estimates, your planning trip budgeting information, and actual costs for lodging, transportation, vendors, etc.
Questions that should frequently be asked when budget planning is “Does this budget item support the program learning goals?” “And how?” “Is there alternative option, that is more fiscally responsible, that can provide the same level of support to the program and it’s learning goals?”
The study abroad program manager will create the framework for your program budget, will work collaboratively with program faculty to provide inputs for the program budget, and will maintain the program budget, with accountability to the Director of Study Abroad.
- Study Abroad program faculty and staff are responsible for appropriately and responsibly managing in-country finances.
- Study Abroad program faculty and staff will submit all finance receipts and a detailed accounting of finances.
- Study Abroad program faculty and staff will refrain from using personal funds for program expenses, unless deemed absolutely necessary.
- Study Abroad faculty and staff will refrain from using program funds for personal expenses.
The study abroad program manager will reconcile all program expenses on program staff institutional credit cards.
- The study abroad program manager will execute the final program expense report, utilizing all finance records and receipts compiled and delivered by the program staff, and submit to Principia Accounting.
To receive Study Abroad Office funding for this trip a funding request and application must be completed and submitted to the Study Abroad Office. The study abroad program manager will review the request with the program faculty, and then submit to the Director of Study Abroad for final approval.
Program faculty are responsible for finance accounting and receipt collecting during their planning trip. The Study Abroad Office will assist with program faculty with the planning trip expense report, upon their return.
Off-Campus Travel Expenses
All faculty and RC travel expenses, during the in-country portion of the program will be covered by the program budget. This includes program-related transportation, lodging, meals, activities, and laundry/dry cleaning. Any non-program related expenses are the personal responsibility of the program staff