Study Abroad Program Faculty
Elsah Campus, Elsah, IL, US
Title: Study Abroad Program Faculty
Department/Location: Study Abroad Office
Organizational Relationships: Reports to the Director of Study Abroad; Works closely with the assigned Study Abroad Program Manager and Study Abroad Resident Counselor.
Summary: The Study Abroad program faculty delivers approved academic course(s) for the specified study abroad program, in accord with their primary faculty contract.
This position collaborates with the Study Abroad Office in the preparation, design, and implementation of program logistics, finances, and student welfare, with both an Academic Affairs and Student Affairs approach. The Study Abroad program faculty provides primary leadership to the program, on-campus and in-country, and is responsible for knowledge and coordinated implementation of Principia and Study Abroad policies and guidelines in regards to academic integrity, student welfare, student discipline, risk and safety, and communication.
We expect study abroad program faculty will:
- Serves as a leader, administrator, decision-maker, and diplomat.
- View instruction with a student-centered focus, maintaining both student enthusiasm and an active, rigorous pedagogical approach;
- Offer expertise in the course content areas for which a course will award credit;
- Have first-hand, relevant experience, prior to the commencement of the program, in the country(ies) of interest;
- Communicate clearly, frequently, and collaboratively with the Study Abroad Office;
- Be a responsible steward of Principia study abroad program funds;
- Take seriously the safety and security all program participants; and
- Commit to and uphold the policies, procedures, and laws governing Principia College, the State of IL, the United States, host institutions and organizations, and the host country(ies).
Work Performed: Essential Duties*
- Collaborates with the assigned Study Abroad Program Manager to develop and implement program logistics, budget, and assessments
- Collaborates and works with the contracted program Resident Counselor
- Coordinates with other program faculty, regarding integration of courses, if applicable.
- Designs program goals, course learning outcomes, and corresponding activities.
- Designs and implements program academics and corresponding individual course learning outcomes and assessments.
- Participates in regularly scheduled study abroad program meetings, beginning three semester prior to the program commencement and through the conclusion of the re-entry portion of the program
- Operates within the outlined study abroad program planning schedule/cycle
- Takes a lead role, with support from the Study Abroad Office, in interviewing and selecting program students
- Participates in Study Abroad Office facilitated pre-departure finance, logistics, and risk and safety meetings
- Facilitates pre-departure/orientation sessions for program students, to include program-specific topics such as: safe/wise travel, group travel expectations, cultural and social norms/expectations, and program logistical and educational context.
- Lives/works in provided program accommodations for the duration of in-country program travel;
- Is on-call 24-7 to oversee the program and support student needs, for the duration of the program.
- Promotes and manages for a functional, traveling learning community
- Attends to and addresses program risk and safety aspects and needs
- Remains alert and informed regarding issues facing students including health, social, moral, gender, and diversity issues
- Reports issues of concern to the Study Abroad Office
- Provides post-program feedback through a prompted, written-report and participates in Study Abroad assessment practices
- Facilitates study abroad program re-entry components, through a re-entry course or as integrated into another program course
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Interpersonal – Focuses on resolving conflict; Maintains confidentiality; Active listening skills; Remains open to others’ ideas; Demonstrates effective group management skills
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and respectfully in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions;
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Includes appropriate stakeholders in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions
- Problem Solving – Takes initiative to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes an inclusive, safe, harassment-free environment
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to account for changing demands; demonstrates confidence in ambiguity and adversity
- Dependability – Follows policies and guidelines; demonstrates timely follow-through
- Responsible Traveler – Commitment to responsible and ethical travel in international contexts for self and program participants; Aware of and engaged with local and global issues; Displays respectful, thoughtful, and appropriate attitude and behavior while traveling.
- Full-time continuing faculty member of Principia College
- Program proposal and faculty participation approved by the Study Abroad Director and the Dean of Academics
- International travel experience
- Experience with college residential life or travel with college students, preferred
- On-call 24/7 (during program)
- Ability and willingness to work and travel long, flexible hours in both group and self-directed settings
- Takes program provided accommodations and meals
- May be additional program-specific requirements or preferences
* The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. Additionally, they do not establish a contract for employment.