Principia Study Abroad is committed to placing the interests of our students first, to the delivery of superior academic programs and to providing excellent service to our students and educational partners around the world. These are our highest priorities. Principia Study Abroad believes transparency, best practices, and maintaining the integrity of our Principia College’s mission and values is in the best interest of our students, our staff, our global academic partners, and our institution.
Principia Study Abroad strives be in alignment with the Standards of Good Practice and the Code of Ethics for Education Abroad maintained by the Forum on Education Abroad. https://forumea.org/resources/standards-6th-edition/code-of-ethics/
Forum on Education Abroad Context
The Forum on Education Abroad is recognized by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission as the Standards Development Organization (SDO) for the field of education abroad. As such, it is The Forum’s responsibility to monitor changes in the field of professional practice and maintain, update, and promulgate the Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad according to the needs of the field. https://forumea.org/resources/standards-6th-edition/
Principia College is an institutional member of the Forum on Education Abroad. The Study Abroad Office strives to be in alignment with the Standards of Good Practice. The Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad can be used as a tool to:
- guide program development,
- evaluate program quality,
- advocate for resources and support,
- train new professionals,
- educate stakeholders such as parents, faculty, students, etc.,
- establish and maintain respectful, sustainable relationships between partners.
The Forum on Education Abroad’s Standards of Good Practice include Guiding Principles regarding:
- Mission and Goals
- Collaboration and Transparency
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines
- Financial and Human Resources
- Student Learning and Development
The Code of Ethics for Education Abroad provides direction to institutions and organizations involved in education abroad and helps ensure that students achieve the maximum benefit from their education abroad experiences. The Code assists organizations as they seek to provide services in accord with the highest ethical standards, with the ultimate goal that students’ international educational experiences are as rich and meaningful as possible. The Code should be understood as a complement to the field’s Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad.
Four Questions to Guide Ethical Decision-Making in Education Abroad:
- Is it true, fair, transparent?
- Is it equitable and inclusive?
- Does it prioritize the interests of the learners, and contribute to their growth and wellbeing?
- Does it foster international understanding?