Tips for the best tutoring session of your life…write on!
BEFORE your session
- Sign up for a tutoring session ahead of time, and—especially—note what you’d like help with. Be as specific as you can.
- If it’s been a while since you thought about your paper, read it again to remind yourself what it’s about so you can explain what you want to work on.
- Bring a printed copy of your paper, the assignment sheet, and a pen or pencil.
- Think about some solid but realistic goals of what you want to achieve during your half-hour session. We can help with this, too.
- Consider having several tutor sessions over a number of days.
DURING your session
- Tell your tutor about any comments or specific instructions from your professor.
- Be willing to engage with your ideas and your tutor in order to dig into your writing! Ask questions when you don’t understand.
- Prioritize so you have time to fix the most important things in your paper.
- Take notes on your paper during the session so you remember all of the changes you want to make.
- Remember, we are here to help you improve your paper and to show you strategies to help with all of your writing. Let’s work on this as a team!
AFTER your session
- Don’t wait too long to apply the changes to your paper.
- If you realize you need more help with your paper, come back!
Did you know tutors can help you with ANY writing you are working on?
Brainstorming | Choosing a topic | Thesis | Developing ideas
Organization strategies | Making a good argument | Writing with clarity
Citing sources | Grammar rules | Smooth transitions | Punctuation
Research | Introductions and conclusions |Capstone papers
…and so much more
Tutors are available in the Café area of the Library, Sunday – Thursday, 8:00 – 11:00 p.m.
Tutoring sessions last 30 minutes and may be extended if no one is waiting.